8.13.2012

Missing Jesus {And Gratitude}








Ivy dancing in the morning light, golden waves triveting around her shouldersher child-reverent face, turned up to the light, arms spread wide, and I think how she must be worshiping right before the throne.

The song plays…

 “So how can I thank you, What can I bring?

What can these poor hands lay at the feet of the King?

I’ll sing you a love song

It’s all that I have

To tell you I’m grateful for holding my life in your hands.”



She doesn’t know I’m watching and then she catches a glimpse of me and I smile warm, heart right proud and the oil of my approving love, it pours over her head and saturates her head to toe, cleansing out so much uncertainty.

She smiles shy. My soul sees hers. “You are precious.”

She turns down the music, looks at me. “Really?”

“Yes, you sure are.”

She smiles and continues to spin, this whole world, the morning sun and my heart spinning with her. These old wood floors and 100 year old walls creak and groan in honor of the Creator.

I can literally feel the weight of His glory come down like a thick cloud, a good cloud, like the haze of sweltering sun in a 17 year old girl’s free summer on the beach.

I am brimming over now.

Peace descends and in the fury of her innocence,  I am turned inside out and my heart swells, all the cracked, stony places soaking up the grace.

Because I’m thinking, “When was the last time I spun around like that, arms thrown wide open in abandon, face and heart lifted up to God?

When did I last forget about time and this space of all that must be done now, this moment with all the worries it holds and just breathed in and out?

Just breathed in and out the God-grace, the living waters that quench my aging and weary parched throat.

When did I last become like a child and turn face up to Heaven, to the light, in wild hope and trust?

When did I last have that child-faith that doesn’t question the One, the only Father who takes care of the child?”

And I heard God say through my daughter—that I don’t hunger near enough.



He has awakened me to it, though–really stirred life within–told me I am His own–His beloved–He is wooing me–the God of all creation. He loves, He loves, He LOVES me! He tells me when I wake in the morning to the sunrise softly glinting through curtains, “This is for you! It’s all for YOU!”



His pursuit of me makes me hunger more for Him. And this revealing of my lack? It is Him lavishing love so thick.  And I want to love that thick.



Oh, that I could abandon everything, leave behind myself just to follow hard after him.



That my words with my girls would be tender, that He would love them through me, that the truth in my ways would speak of Him, that I would find myself rocking and soothing the orphan babe who has no human touch-- no one to hold her, that wisdom would be on my lips.



That I would show them grace because we dance to Elvis Jailhouse Rock , Black-Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow, or Toby Mac, and we laugh, and wine is on the table, and we pray for God to help us love one another and take care of one another better, and our evenings aren’t filled with sitcoms or internet gaming and socializing, but we are playing love-games at the supper table and running and swimming and living life, and reading that we are God’s princesses at bedtime. We read how that when we’ve been the prodigal, our Father King, He always embraces us with tears in his eyes and overwhelming love and puts a ring on our finger and a crown on our head and there is no shame in the presence of Daddy-King.



And as my daughter twirls in light, I have this growing, gnawing ache.



I miss Jesus.







Gratitude: #902-916



Through giving thanks for the small, everyday things and snapping shots and noticing these brief moments captured in my lens-- a frame of light caught in her hair, angling the camera to get a different view of the sun streaming through leaves, running through my backyard, awe-inspired--to get a shot of a hawk--I have learned something extremely valuable in life: through thanksgiving and awe, praise and glory-giving back to God for His creation, for all His gifts, is where I find joy, this elusive gift I have sought for half my life-span.



#902 trip to Destin with just my mom and sister…bonding time…



#903 girl talk with my sister about real-life issues…



#904 hard eucharisteo…one of the hardest talks I’ve ever had to have and probably ever will--with my mother—all of us working through difficult emotional spaces



#905 relaxing on the beach…listening to waves…



#906 napping on my beach blanket…all of us quiet…



#907 “What happens in Destin, stays in Destin”—a little saying coined by my mom…~smile~

#908 sunburns and fighting through physical pain and being grateful for today, a good attitude and laughter our medicine



#909 Bella’s argument: “It’s. Not. My. Birthday yet!!” when we would tell her happy birthday. Apparently it isn’t really a birthday until there’s a party?



#910 Her five-year-old-lisping into the phone to her daddy that she had a great birthday and had a cake—a chocolate one, and everybody enjoyed themselves at her birthday.



#911 My eleven year old daughter who isn’t very affectionate, crawling into my lap or hugging me and nodding up and down when I ask if she needs Mama love. Melts my heart.



#912 Hard eucharisteo…confronting issues and growing in Christ with sisters, in grace and love—seeing the fruits of this in me and others…



#913 My director calling just to encourage me and to tell me not to be nervous…



#914 How I, usually so unprepared, up ‘til 2 am, somehow arrived more-than-enough prepared and I for once felt what it was to be a leader…the grace of God growing these skills in me I didn’t know I had inside…Him pulling these out—me being brave and following him…



#915 My amazement at the confidence He has given…



#916 Learning that humility isn’t a heavy cloak of being less than that we wear, but it is an action, a serving, a loving, a confident knowing who I am in Christ, forging ahead in the path made straight for me, using the talents He calls forth from within, abandoning the things I hold onto so tightly—fear, distrust, pride, selfishness, woundedness and I answer His call, unaffected by others’ criticisms or praises. Giving praise to God that this is finally. becoming. truth for me and reality I can see as I walk out my daily life!!!





**Friends, your comments mean so much to me--they soul-drench me in grace and minister to me. And your prayers mean even more. I am not able to answer each comment--I am probably making vegan pad thai or whole-wheat cookies with my girls, cleaning up potty-training baby girl's messes, reading a good book with my kids in the hammock, {or dancing to hip-hop with them while they roll their eyes}, out running, having a glass of wine with Husband, or lying in a warm bath just trying to breathe, friend! I hope you understand? Thank you in advance for grace. If you are reading this, you are awesome and I already love  you!  Head here to get to know me better and to read why during this season of life, I am just quietly writing, and not visiting via social media as much....



** Thank you for so, so much grace, friends. My heart cannot express in mere words, my thankfulness. I love all of you.

Still counting and joining in community with sweet Ann and others...


and linking with L.L...and others below...click on links to read these amazing sites!


On In Around button


>

















9 comments:

  1. So wonderful to see your words and hear your dear heart...God hears and He sees and He will answer all those beautiful desires in your heart...because He is love...because He cares. Be patient with Him...be patient with yourself...life is a journey...a marathon...oh how we all wish is was a sprint. You are running the race...you legs getting stronger...keep your eyes fixed on Jesus...the Author and Perfecter of your faith.
    so glad you had a special time with fam. at the beach. 2 trips for you...
    xoxox to you sweet friend,
    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful moments captured here... beautiful beautiful beautiful. It hushes me and makes me want to be still and silent and listen... and BE, with GOD. I miss Him, too <3 My heart aches with you, thank you for pointing me to Jesus today.
    I am rejoicing with you in all the fruit He is producing within you!!!! "His Grace flows down and covers me..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're having a lovely time with your kids and teaching them the joy of worshiping God. May you receive his grace to be childlike and free. May you receive what you think it is that you're missing out on in Jesus.

    I will admit that my trifocal glasses gave me great difficulty deciphering the words in the unexpectedly fancy font in white, on a stark black background. But probably most of your readers have younger eyes than mine.

    The girl's facial expressions of carefree worship are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... an awesome writing today. I just love it.
    Yes we can learn from the children perhaps that is why Jesus said 'come as a child' for he knew we would need a 'quieter' uncluttered way of worship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful reminder -- from the mouths of babes! Oh, to have that faith! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It made me think, how your daughter turned to you for affirmation, that we are all like that with the Father! Beautiful post, Nacole. Beautiful blessings, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that little girl of yours is SO MUCH YOU! And my favorite thank you was 912 – the hard Eucharisteo - those are the tough ones sometimes I think those are the best ones – although I wish we both had less opportunity to say them :-) God bless and keep you and all of your babies and your husband – still not quite out of the rabbit hole yet – one step at a time – glad I could swing by and tell you how sweet your words are to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there this is kind of of off topic but I was
    wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code
    with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    My webpage; http://ultraslimpatchblog.net

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...