3.06.2013

The Real Christ In A Cruel World {In Which I Say What I Really Feel About the Church}



                                                                                                                            

Oh my soul aches in a cruel world where children are shot while learning ABC's, blood splattered across the chalkboard, soaking their beautiful wide-ruled blue lined pages, their little feet barely reaching the floor, so much light this world lost when their innocent souls left, so much work their brilliant minds could have done, so much ache left in the aftermath.

 My heart is crushed in a backwards reality where gays are shunned as yesterday's trash, and pastors who seek fame and distort truth are glorified. But Jesus drew a line in the sand for a harlot, no better than trash to those religious leaders, and dared them to cast the first stone. And the truth distorters? He called them vipers.

 I'm weary because when I was not a girl, not yet a woman, I stood in the church foyer of my daddy's church and was called a whore by a woman I loved because I attended the one party I was invited to, in a friendless town, and a boy tried to take advantage of me that night, called to me in whispers from the hallway in the dark, luring me like a sex predator lures an innocent child. Rumors flew and what's a preacher's daughter to do? We're supposed to be perfect.

 I quake with loneliness because I feel the isolation of those who are not welcome in my southern white churches. I'd like to stand on top of the podium and declare that Jesus wants all the sick, all the hurting, every color, all of his brothers and sisters, all of God's children and the same breath that's in me, God breathed into them.

 A cold wind blows through my soul because when I was 19 years old, a woman secretly recorded a conversation she and her husband had with my parents in her home, and she worked hard against them, carrying her banner of what she perceived as justice until she turned everyone away from the church, calling all the members away unto herself, and my dad had no one to support him, and the last member left in the pews--one sweet, but very feisty old widow woman--she brought us cans from the food pantry. I was paranoid and convinced there were cameras in my bedroom and the nightmares came every night. We were literally starved out--physically and spiritually--and we left the church and left the town, our hearts in our stomachs, our spirits grieved and hearts hard and for me the hellish dreams continued for years, every. single. night.

 I shudder at witnessing the guts and gore of pastors leaving even now. I squinch my eyes up because I do not want to watch as respected leaders whom we loved and whom loved us hate their pastor in their hearts as they hand out food to the poor, and teach sweet, impressionable children as they spew words of malice out behind their shepherd's back, toil and sweat toward his demise, and ultimately the devastation of his household. I do not want to know about their schemes in the dark, their hellish pranks and private meetings, do not want to behold such horrors, all vivid bloody gore to me.

 I grieve for the dark-skinned women who came to my door, those sweet women, donned in their Sunday best. They are so dignified and humble, and loving, and they stand in the cold to talk to me. I grieve not because maybe they're a cult as I was taught growing up--it's just the opposite. I grieve because I have this painful, wonderful, awful revelation that my whole life I've been wrong and I've missed it. The church has missed it. These women stood on my stoop, the numbing cold not bothering their warm hearts as they continued to encourage me, long after I'd told them I felt we had found a church home. They told me it was commendable, what I was doing with my girls, teaching them at home, teaching them the scriptures, instilling values in them. I felt admiration from these women. They commended me. ME. It had been such a hard, questioning week and I told them that, how I was glad they came because I needed to hear that, and their beautiful eyes lit up. They told of how they visit some people who tell them if they hadn't come that day, they would've committed suicide. "I admire you," I said, "for doing what you do. It's a brave thing, to get out and reach out the way you do." They offered me books for the girls and I gave them some money for the ink, even though I knew that I wouldn't agree with the theology in the pages and we might not read it. That didn't matter. It would have been like saying no to a hot plate a a sweet 'lil 'ole widow neighbor cooked as a gift because stroganoff isn't my favorite. And Jesus shocked them all when he said that the first shall be last and the last shall be first and no one ever expected that the despised and foolish things of the world would confound the wise and sometimes I find that my doubt is turned right inside out and I am on the other end, the "wise" one being schooled by these "foolish" 'lil 'ole women the world has looked down upon.

I shiver as arctic gales sweep right through me, and it's sweeping right through the church. Do you feel it? And I weep and I dry my tears and tell myself to be strong, to not let my heart get smashed again. I take a good long look at the world, through red-brimmed eyes and with tears that won't even fall anymore, my hard heart sees all the missed opportunities the church has had, that I have had. I see the poor that Mother Theresa consecrated her life to, I see the millions of children starving and dying in the dumps. I see the millions of babies that have been killed in America in the past thirty years by abortion, I see a gay community that feels hated by the church, I see depressed women wasting away in beds, never stepping outside their doors, afraid and quaking, from a life of abuse and they make it known that no one is welcome and I have been all of these and then some because I'm a sinner and I'm in need too.

And I've come to despise change because of what change did to my family when I was young and what it still does to those who give their lives. I don't know how to continue believing, when I, being a thirty-something, in a deep depression, reached out to women in the church, and shared my secret in hopes they'd gather 'round and shore me up, and I was shunned instead, my leper sores glaringly ugly in the church lights.

Shunned like the gays, shunned like the druggies, shunned like my black sisters and brothers, shunned like Jesus.

Oh, for all that is holy, grace is not just for me, the me who grew up in church, the preacher's daughter, it's not just for the straights, the whites, the upper class, the lovable ones, the ones who do life the "right" way. Oh can you see it, friend? Can I?

Jesus came for the sick. Let's be about our Father's business.

And when my dark-skinned friend comes back to drop off that church invitation as she promised, I'm going to invite her into my heated living room, and with a glory hallelujah in my heart, have hot tea with her on my couch and talk with her like I would any of the other women in my circle, and I will tell her I'm a Christian, and do not intend to convert, but that I hope we can still be sisters in this kingdom work.

Only God knows her heart.

Only God knows mine. He wants all of us, friends, all of us sinners.

There's no need to fear.

Let's open our hearts, you and I.

And be about His work.


 


** painting by my husband, Eddie


**Shaking in my boots, being vulnerable about some of my deepest secrets, the hurting places, hitting publish here, friends. Oh my, I love writing, and my it is sometimes so hard to hit that button. Here goes--I hope it blesses?

Linking up with...

23 comments:

  1. Your bravery is so strong. This post is beautiful. Glad to have found you tonight. You summed up how I feel beautifully. Thank you for being brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karmen,

      Thank you so much for the kind words. Always humbled.

      Delete
  2. Yes. Let's be about his work. Your story is part of the blessing here. Thanks for hitting the button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for these encouraging words, Kath. It means so much. This was a hard piece to write out.

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful.Your words resonate with me. Must share, my friend. So glad I came.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Dawn, thank you for sharing. So humbled. I'm glad you came too.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous words, Nacole, and some of them straight from my own heart. I have some of these proselytisers who come to my house, and mercy, they just shine out. I always invite them in: they're beautiful. It's been a little while since they've been here, and I've looked out the window for them on especially lonely days, wondering if they've figured out I'll never convert and given me up. Only God knows who's been saved by the blood of His Son, and I don't know how a person glows like that if she doesn't know Him. I had an aunt of a different "cult" who was the same way. I've seen her since she's been in heaven, and I'll scrap w/ anyone who insists otherwise. The LGBT thing grieves me, too. I definitely have a heart for this community. That anyone should feel unloved is a terrible thing, and why can't we disagree and still think love is the most important thing....and Love...and He is Love? Because it is. You aren't singing alone in the darkness, Beautiful Girl. You aren't alone. Love you, Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandee, your words always so honest and true. Your heart is so pure and lovely, so loving and strong. Thank you for always encouraging! "I'll scrap..." You made me giggle out loud. Love you, beautiful, friend.

      Delete
  5. Nacole,Thank you for sharing your heart. Such a convicting post. May I never forget the sacrifice and the pain, get so caught up in my comfortable world lest I forget grace. So thankful for redemption that flows through your words. Grateful to know more of your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, humbled, Shelly. Thank you so much for your encouraging words; they are needed here--this was a hard write.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post. I'm so glad to "meet" you here via Imperfect Prose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to meet you, Elizabeth. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  7. Grieving your wounds, Nacole. Your story matters to me. So thankful for the grace of that one feisty old widow woman who showed you real Jesus love, real mercy. Because as wounded as you've been, I see in through your words that you still cling to the reality of it.

    Yes, let's be about Jesus business. The church is full of wolves devouring, but glimpses of mercy remain. I am the church; I am your sister. Praying with/for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, oh, sweet Nancy, I think you may have said the most important thing my heart needed to hear. You didn't have to, but that you are grieving with me? That says so much about you, Nancy. Love you, sister/friend. xo.

      Delete
  8. first...let me say your hubby is very gifted...wow...what a very artsy, talented family you all have. it is so wonderful to hear your brave words...spoken loud. And yes...may we all continue to learn to love with His heart... I am still holding you before the Throne...love to you my friend~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Ro. You are always so good and kind to me, friend. Yes, that man of mine is so gifted. May I learn to be brave, to love fearlessly. Love you.

      Delete
  9. i'm sitting here trying to compose my thoughts into some semblance of order -- to no avail. this story? this bit of you? it moves me deeply.
    i have been on both sides of the church walls. and so often found greater grace waiting without, like you. we have been the pastor's family turned against and then, in a parable-like plot-twist, we have done the turning against. not without our own complexities and confusions, any of us.
    but i love your heart for the shunned and the outcast. the church is often very good at "knowledge" -- especially regarding morality -- but even the best doctrine usually comes off as unappealing as a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal because they've forgotten the Most Important Thing. to which you call us here, so clearly.
    thank you, friend. for the vulnerability of this story, for the love that lives in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kelli, sweet friend, that I moved you deeply? Wow, thanks for letting me know. I'm happy it resonated so richly with you. I can't say what that means. Thank you, thank you, for being a fellow so-journer, a sister. I had no idea you were on both sides, did not realize we had so much in common. Maybe someday we will sit down and share stories. Yes to everything you said. And Kelli? I love your heart too.

      Delete
  10. Nacole, today I feel like I looked out into the darkness and saw a single light on a hill, and despite the harshest of winds, it kept on shining!!! YOU are that light in a very dark place, my girl. My heart rises up against the abuses and hurts and disappointments shot your way, yet I rejoice to see you still have the ability to know the difference between truth and lies, and you still have the ability to rise up and respond as Jesus would ---- in love! Oh, that the world could know more women such as yourself. In reading this, I am resolved to reach out to someone who is hurting, shunned, and stumbling in the darkness and to be a light and source of warmth to them. It's the only way I really know to answer the call you have so brilliantly made here. Thank you, Nacole, for being so brave and hitting that publish button!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cora, you wow me with your love and humility, and I'm sobered by your words. Love you, Cora. xo.

      Delete
  11. I'd like to stand on top of the podium and declare that Jesus wants all the sick, all the hurting, every color, all of his brothers and sisters, all of God's children and the same breath that's in me, God breathed into them.

    oh Nacole, you have a ministry here, friend, a ministry to the hurting and the lost. the people who don't feel seen. oh friend. as a fellow pastor's daughter who's also seen the dark side of the institution, i understand. i think we've missed it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my dear Emily, your words are a healing salve. Thank you, sweet friend, thank you so much. xo

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...