4.23.2012

Fumbling Toward Destruction

You can go here to get the beginning to this story....which will help you understand the second part better....




So I began stumbling down this dark path, numb and despondent me, groping along as if blind. And somewhere around the age of 12 or 13, I began to have an aversion to eating. Greasy hamburgers made my stomach turn, and when placed in front of me, I begrudgingly ate a few small bites, and then threw it up.

I was so dislocated from everyone else. They were all enjoying the meal together and talking and laughing but it was like I was on the outside of a dark glass, looking in, unable to join in, this depressed bubble impermeable. I did not like mealtime--I spent my time closed off in the bathroom--isolated, all alone. Paranoia consumed me. When anyone made a comment about how little or how much I ate, the paranoia wrestled me to the ground and strangled me. I suffocated under the weight of this monster. I couldn't breathe.

The only comfort to me was the only thing familiar--me--just the way I'd always been. The little girl me was scared and didn't want to change, didn't want hips, extra fat, things I didn't recognize--I was losing me. Maybe I was trying to control a life that felt a little like it was on a runaway train. Maybe this was the way I reacted to the negative things said about me--I self-inflicted pain.

I scratched at the wounds and let them bleed out.

{I'm over at Chasing Silhouettes, Emily's (of Imperfect Prose) eating disorder blog, if you would like to follow me there for the rest of the story? Just hover and click on the link there. I'll be there, waiting with a warm smile, ready to continue the conversation, friends. I can't promise tea and hors d'oeuvres, but you are welcome to bring along chocolate, or coffee, or vise of your choice.....Sharing with trembling, friends...}




WAIT! Just one more thing before you go? I am excited about this free ebook, Giving Up Normal: Surburban Girl Meets the Streets from my friend, Alene--not because I've read it already--it's only recently been made available--but because I just love her heart and I know the message and reading her heart is going to be awesome! PLUS--It's FREE! Who couldn't be excited about that?! Please follow the link just above to get your free copy--or just show some love to this sweet, God-adventurous, generous woman!



Also, counting God's graces, His perfect gifts in my life along with Ann...if you would like to stay for a minute to read, or come back here after the story?....

Gratitude:



#734 me and girls reading Little Women on blanket spread in green grass, dappled with late afternoon light

#735 us all having a science lesson from Jeannie Albright's Exploring Creation with Astronomy    about God's creation in backyard while husband mows

#736 picnic supper on front porch with candles

#737 going out in the middle of the day to jump in sunshine with my girls

#738 the sunlight in their hair

#739 exercising with my oldest girls

#740 taking all four of my girls to town to meet Meme--that I have a way to get us there

#741 that I'm well enough to get out and do things on my own--glory to God

#742 Husband and I having the entire weekend to ourselves

#743 going out to eat mexican on a Friday night and how Husband is happy with price and quickness of service

#744 how in getting older, eating out is about all we can stand, and we want to be back home, with wine and a movie

#745 me and Husband huddled on swing in a cold-front spring morning, blanket shared wrapped 'round us, drinking coffee and listening to birds, talking about dreams without interruption

#746 spending Saturday cleaning and organizing our office area together for me and the girls to have a place to homeschool

#747 Husband sacrificing what he would like to do on a Saturday for our needs--what a man

#748 when all the work has worn me down, and I have forgotten the fact I'm hungry, Husband popping his head in to say let's get out for awhile, get dressed, and takes me to my favorite restaurant

#749 knowing how noise and crowds get to me, him asking me do i want a booth, if i want him to sit next to me, always concerned about me

#750 Lorna's response when she comes home, "I missed you a little bit."

#751 wonderful Sunday morning service

#752 a few ladies telling me that they do want to do the {in}courage beach bash after all--my elation after i had given up on the idea--and a few are all we need

#753 coming home to roast filling the house

#754 beautiful sunshine and me running out to the trampoline like a little kid to jump with my girls

#755 all six of us jumping together on a Sunday afternoon

#756 being asked to share my story

#757 that God is using it to expand my territory, to open up my heart and make me go out on a limb to grab someone hurting




This was a hard story to write, friends, and I stripped bare and laid it out, but if there is something more--something I may have forgotten in my quest to get it written--to the story you would like to hear about, would you mention it in the comments, or send me an email?


Shared with sweet Ann and others in community at...



Emily...


L.L....
On In Around button

Laura...







and Jen...



Jennifer...


Shanda...


and Michelle...

9 comments:

  1. Nacole, you are so brave. so beautiful. thank you for putting a voice to the struggles of many. your life is god-breathed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #757 HAS to be the best thing I've read in a long, long time. And I'm so glad YOU said it, because that was just what I was thinking as I read your story today. Nacole, I know what it must have taken for you to hit the publish button. But I must tell you, there are so many trembling souls at the end of that limb, just waiting for someone who understands to risk everything and crawl out there and pull them in. Our scars are so beautiful to Him. And as you find your voice and open up that dam, the River of Life will flow from those scars and bring healing to so many. Tara above me used the term, "god-breathed." I felt that whisper of Grace today as I read your story. Thank you for that! My soul is so enriched, as I know all to well the struggles and the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading your list makes me feel thankful! Heading over to finish your story. I applaud your courage... praying that God will use it to bear much fruit, Nacole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful gifts! Best thing is they are straight from the best Gift-Giver of all - JESUS! Love your heart for sharing the real journey! And I thank you dearly for mentioning the new eBook. You bless me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your story is full of newfound life... the old is passed away... behold all things are become new; how wonderful that you have such wonderful events with your family... wonderful gratitudes!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I clicked over and read the first part of your story, now I'm heading over to emily's place to read the rest. So thankful for your willingness to open yourself to others and bear witness to God's goodness and grace. May He use your words to bring healing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. will jump over and read the rest...it hurts my heart...i have a kid i work with right now that self inflicts pain to cope...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read the rest, over at Chasing, and I have to say that my favorite sentence is "But God". It gives me goosebumps.
    Thank you for testifying.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...