4.16.2014

Brokenness, A Grace-Bathed Thread

{The Conundrums of Writing and Blogging: A Series}




I am delighted to have my friend, Kelli Woodford, at the blog today, who has collaborated with me on this post. We are both sharing our voices and stories with you today of how we met. This is a bold move, we know--and we hope you enjoy it. 

More than that, we hope you can see one golden, grace-bathed thread through the entire thing--how God opens our eyes to see the souls beneath human skin, broken and beautiful skin we all share-- and that you will maybe walk away with a renewed sense of sisterhood/brotherhood and what it means to be at the table together. Much love to our readers and thank you for being with us on the writing series journey~ 


The airport bustled as I pulled the car curbside. Flipping down the visor, I checked my hair and applied chapstick. The radio station desperately needed adjusting and oh for the love, where could that water bottle have gone? And it was there, hand jammed under the passenger's seat with great angst written across my brow, that I recognized it: Fidgeting, yes, I was fidgeting.

Because nervousness? It always drives me to do.

She texted from inside the building. Only a few moments and we would meet for the first time. Only a few moments till the hopes and dreams of the person we had known through words on screens and a smattering of facebook photos would shake hands with stark reality. We would stand before one another in the flesh - for better or worse - in all our devastating human nakedness. Without the comfort of photoshop's charms or a hearty following behind us. Without smartly punctuated witticisms or cleverly sculpted reputations. We would brush skin and hear joints pop and perhaps waft the warmth of the other's signature scent. I wrapped my coat around me against the wind, took a deep breath, and let my feet find the pavement. Brave feet, I thought, keep walking.

I looked up at the sound of my name.

She was prettier than I expected her to be. Slender and blond. Her idyllic smile rivaled Denzel's for shine and luster, teeth straight as a manicured picket fence. Intimidation crept up my neck and flushed my cheeks with scarlet. We chatted about her flight and about the weather. We sneakily studied one another's faces when we thought it wouldn't be noticed. I listened to the slow, thick drawl of the south on her tongue, and I imagine she heard the nasal whine so common to midwesterners in my voice. It was strange and wonderful, this stark reality. It was a bit like stepping into Narnia, finding more than you ever thought possible inside a wardrobe in the spare room.

Because aren't we, all of us, more than screens can ever tell?

The weekend unfolded in gentle, halting exhale. Moments both sacred and scared laced our days. We revealed parts of our lives to each other, but not without a good bit of trembling. Intimidation faded like a fall flower in the honest light of brokenness shared. And then it came time for goodbyes. We parted alongside the very same curb where I'd exhorted my audacious feet. This time, there was a knowing in our voices. We didn't hear the differences that took up so much space at first. We only heard the heart. For you see, we had taken time to listen.

And perhaps that is what many internet relationships need - this listening. Because it's so easy to see a photoshopped profile picture and make assumptions, isn't it? So easy to comfortably settle into a one-dimensional assessment of an individual instead of pushing deeper, believing for more, digging into the back of the wardrobe?

Now, I realize it's not always possible to quell these misgivings by face-to-face meetings. I get it. But this mining for gold no matter what rubble lies on the surface - this is more than that. It’s a perspective. This is what it means to invite all to the table. This is where we feel the hand in our own. This is what it means to honor not only the stories that we uniquely represent, but even the opinions and convictions that result from the narrative being scripted. This is respecting each other's process. And it is how community can form, even in as unlikely a place as these screens permit.

  
~by Kelli Woodford

------------------------------------------


When she stepped out of the car at the airport, her big baby blues startled me. They were much more exquisite in real life than in any picture. I had never before seen eyes like that.

As we began trying to load my luggage into the car, I looked down and noticed dainty feet in the cutest flats. How hip, I thought. I should've brought shoes like that. I also noticed her energy and her determination to help. She wasn't the stander-by type. She was hands-on. I liked her already, because I'm the type who's always a little lost, needing help.

I had come that weekend, with so much hesitation. I don't handle large social crowds well, and I refused to be sick and have an anxiety attack while I was there. I knew I'd be okay with her by my side, because though we only knew one another through a screen, something in me trusted her. She had such unassuming grace.

Oh, how I tried to be strong, but all the grace in the world could not keep the inevitable powerful attack at bay. We walked into a bustling lunch room, bloggers and writers chatting, the noise blinding me, and I felt so disconnected, that I didn't belong. A couple of friends tried to talk to me, but I didn't want to be the center of attention. I went outside to cry and to call my husband.

When I came back in, she met me in the hallway and asked how she could help. Did I need my food brought outside to me? I wiped my eyes, gathered all of my courage and strength, and told her I'd walk back in with her so she could finish her lunch. Then we went back to the hotel so I could swallow down the calm my body so desperately needed and she and I just took a break.

I did not want her or anyone to have to care for me in that way, but my human brokenness left me with no choice. She saw me--fully human and fully broken, the pieces scattered everywhere.

And those pieces scattered over that weekend, were the fragments that bonded us forever, like a quilt made with love, from many left over scraps. The Master Sewer, He wove us together over those days and nights. We sat in her car until the wee hours of the morning sharing stories too sacred to mention here. We laughed hysterically over teenage adventures and how we sometimes still feel like we're at that age of angst, and yet, we're more fully ourselves. We cried. We listened intently. We were on holy ground. But to get to that place of holy? We had to be brave, oh, so brave. We had to let all pretenses go.

May I suggest something to you? Perhaps this is a concrete and poignant example of what it is to pull up a chair at the table with others, let the facades go, let our presumptions go of what we expect others to be, and try to see ourselves through their lens? Perhaps there really is another soul, right there next to us, hidden and disguised beneath pretty clothes and fashionable shoes, just begging to be loved, not with piety, but with true warmth, the kind that prays for you in the middle of the night, the kind that would leave a conference to take you to the hospital if need be, knowing this is the reason they were there that weekend--to meet another soul, broken, right where they are, to care for them, as Jesus would.

At the table, together.



And might I suggest something else? That we are not ordained by God to decide who gets to be at the table? Because it's not just for believers, for those with a strong faith in God, the ones sure of themselves and their calling and purpose. It isn't just for the ones mentally well, the ones who do social circles just right, and always know the right thing to say.

But perhaps instead, God has designed the table so that the atheist can pull up a chair beside us, that we can sup together, to share battle-worn life-stories, to really see one another-- a beautiful, mysterious creation--yes, one very beautiful face of God.

And perhaps it is for the awkward ones, too-- the ones who say all the wrong things at the table that leave people gasping and uncomfortable. Jesus made everyone gasp. They were uncomfortable in his presence. And so, I have become more comfortable with my awkward self, and I feel more at home around ones who say the wrong things. They have a place amongst us, too.

And perhaps the chair next to us is just as much for the homosexual who is confused, or determined in their lifestyle. Maybe just maybe-- have we considered that God loves them no less than us, and in our separation we have shown a poor example of that? And maybe they are not as lost as we think-- perhaps they are trying to find their way--floundering and very human like the rest of us. And perhaps, if we weren't so uncomfortable around them, and pulled out a chair, said sit here, we would find they have some battle-worn stories too. And we would find another human being just begging to be loved, a soul crying for help. Isn't that what Jesus was all about? Isn't it why He came?

And just maybe, when we look around at our table, and see no one different from us outwardly, we should re-think that. Because yes, there are many different faces of God, and he has made some lovely skin to stretch taut over sisters and brothers all around us. When we plan our bible studies, and our place-settings, might I suggest we think of the black neighbor down the street, or the Asian sister who greets us with a smile everyday at our local fill-up station, maybe the Mexican sister or brother who attends our homeschool functions, but we notice they are always quiet?

Let's not isolate ourselves from the ones who need our brave words, our bold love, our audacious grace-- the most.

And let's remember--they need it no more or no less, than we do. Let's make this a table that is wide and large--let's make room for everyone.

Don't hide your love. Don't hide your words. Forget about trying to please the masses with your words and your art. Forget about writing what you think is the politically correct or religiously correct term.

Write it real and write it true. That is what we want to hear. We are weary of sugar-coated religious platitudes.

Sister and brothers, listen up: Tell us YOUR story. Give us something real, brave, bold. God has designed you to make a mark. Let your light burn brightly, and light up the dark sky. Just let the words fall out, friend.

There is room at the table for broken, brave, beautiful you.

~by Nacole Simmons

Please watch the video-- how beautiful --what encouragement--Y'all --I want to SEE YOU BE BRAVE!












Kelli Woodford considers curiosity a serious expedition and is rarely satisfied with anything remotely status quo. She collects friendships with people as different as they can be and feels all the richer for it, but never experiences "home" so much as when she is with her best friend--who also happens to be her husband. They make their abode in Love, but also in the Midwest with thier seven blue-eyed children. You can read more of her tantalizing words here at her blog, where she chronicles grace in everyday life, or find her hanging our here on Twitter  and Facebook . 






linking with friends, MichelleHolleyEmilyJennifer and Outside the City Gate


**This here is the wrap-up of a series on writing--the last week! Let's all gather around the table in the comments and discussKelli and I will choose one *amazing* story on Tuesday morning, the 22nd, {the link-up is available until 8 am Tues} from the link-up below to feature on both of our blogs next week, on Wednesday, the 23rd!! And we'll share on social media, too. So, what are the issues we face and deal with as writers? What has your own writing/blogging journey looked like? Please keep this theme in mind, and think of how you'd like to share your own story or journey of blogging/writing with us! If you're featured, be prepared to provide a photo and a short author bio!

**{Requirements for link-up: Please no maligning/no mention in a negative manner of other blogs/authors/writers/brothers & sisters in Christ. Hurt does happen in community, and if we write about that, one option is to change the name/situation/dates, so that the people involved remain anonymous and are protected. "Whoever would foster love covers over an offense, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends." Proverbs 17:9}



--Other posts in this series below  

In Which I Invite Us All to the Table --Nacole Simmons

A Hand In Your Own -- a guest post from Kelli Woodford


A Divided Loyalty and the Stinging Truth --a guest post from Michelle DeRusha   

Rooted In A Tangible Grace -- Kelli Woodford   

On Prostitution: Cheap Grace and One Word: Enough --Nacole Simmons

In The End, Three Things Remain --a guest post from Holly Grantham

What I Want You to Know About Mental Illness, Social Media, and Community --Nacole Simmons

On Vulnerability and Boundaries --a guest post from Diana Trautwein 

Walking With Christ Online :: thoughts on faith, calling, and diversity --a guest post from Lisha Epperson


**Announcing the winner from the book giveaway last week! Beth Stiff, you've been hand-picked. Kelli chose a number between 1 and 3-- and your # was chosen!! WOOT! Please leave a comment or message me with your address, friend!


7 comments:

  1. Greetings Kelli and Nacole, I truly enjoyed reading your words. I can understand why you both felt it necessary to see one another face-to-face. You share the same heart beat. As I contemplate your trepidations, the anxieties and the energy it took to step out in faith so-to-speak, I think of one word: vulnerability. Jesus exemplified this attribute while being God in flesh-an onxymoronic notion if ever there was one. I know men have a very difficult time of taking off the masks, but I assumed women not so much. I guess we are all pretty much the same, us humans. Thank you for reminding your readers that to be real, transparent and vulnerable requires courage and hope. And, that the rewards often outweigh the risks. May this Holy weekend result in holy hearts for all of us. In Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now you all have left my eyes tear filled
    so ready to pour out my "yes"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nacole...I'm so glad you were brave, hopped that plane, MET KELLI, and took your chair at the table! You belong, believe me! I love the words you "let fall out". Amazing story! Oh, to be as brave, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a beautiful story... Two tender ladies loving with the love of Christ!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nacole, whenever I read your words, I feel a connection in a different way than I do with a lot of people, mostly because I get the whole social anxiety, square-peg-in-a-round-hole thing. I don't think most people even realize this about me, though, because I don't have full on attacks, but it takes a lot of inner wrangling for me to get myself in group situations. And while I'm there, I often feel much as you described. I so resonate with that general feeling of being a little lost, in need of help. I would love, right now, to reach through this screen and give you a big I-understand-you-sister hug. I love that you and Kelli met on this deeply personal level - everything you describe her as is how I imagine her to be. If ever our paths cross one day (with either of you), I will consider it a sweet, sweet gift. Thank you, both, for baring such beauty and grace here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading each version of your very special dance towards each other. So real and raw. Gosh, I felt the hands that held and too, the arms that reached. I knew this would be a stunning read. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much beauty here. Honestly, I just cried through it. I'm just so thankful God gives us hearts for each other in our brokenness and imperfections. I'm so thankful God connected you two, and I can't wait to connect with you this summer, Nacole! I love all you write! You speak truth and grace and it's beautiful, friend!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...