3.13.2013

The Birthing of A Voice




My voice is somewhere in the deep, somewhere lost,
Somewhere silent.
I pray for words and no words come.
My voice, lost, it lets me know
It echoes from corridors and secret passageways of the heart
Tells me my heart is not still
And yes, my heart is weary, thumps too loudly, drumming in my ear
It paces, roams, back and forth, wary of the fight
Sometimes the cloud is too thick
The weight of glory too massive
Does that mean God is nearer?
Is He heavy on me like a lover?
When everything is pressing,
should I just know that He presses in close,
whispers sweet nothings in my ear?
Oh, to hear,
the deaf ear opened
I'm mute, dumb, and walk around blind
Is God near, calling?
Because I don't hear Him
Is the church spotless and vigilant?
Because I don't see her
I see nothing but decay
I need Jesus
His hands,
His touch
Messiah come
I groan with expectation
I howl in birth pains
I moan in quiet travail with all creation
so softly and inwardly no one knows
All this death and religion's tepid, heavy cloak make me lie still
laid out, legs and arms splayed straight, air so tight, this box made just for me
It's sealed all the way round
The howling wind sweeps through the cold place, and I scream but nothing comes out
And no one hears
I pant, gasp, pain shooting through spinal cavities
Eyes widen like a wild animal, afraid
I'm not sure what's happening
And just when I begin to lose hope no one is there
The worst pains come and my hips spread some more
I can't breathe and I've almost given up the ghost
And there it is, the voice lost brought up
to the surface, pressing through the birth canal,
gasping for air, wet-tissued passageways burning
howling and screaming in silent pain
blood vessels' fragile wall breaking,
the red everywhere.
And I'm a bloodied mess
That red richness that speaks a better word
Covering me.




6 comments:

  1. Sweet girl. May that voice rise and be strengthened as you speak life to us. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i love how you find Him. or rather, how He finds you. but i love the imagery in your searching and the discovery of Presence, even in the thick and heavy. yes, oh yes, to that.
    it's always a treat Nacole. love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So violently beautiful- I love to hear your voice, I know it can be painful to speak what groans inside, but I am so glad you do. And He hears you, He answers. He listens, and He gives you ears to hear, a heart that knows Him and understands, He gives you voice to sing again.
    I love you. I love your art. I love your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So violently beautiful- I love to hear your voice, I know it can be painful to speak what groans inside, but I am so glad you do. And He hears you, He answers. He listens, and He gives you ears to hear, a heart that knows Him and understands, He gives you voice to sing again.
    I love you. I love your art. I love your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes He is silent but He is never still. Beautiful imagery of birthing your voice, that was already there, sometimes silent but never still. Love to you Nacole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is breathtaking! I am so blessed to have found this place today, to dwell here in the beauty and this music.

    visiting from dear emily's place today. <3

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...